Beyond the Boundary (Japanese: 境界の彼方, Hepburn: Kyoukai no Kanata , literally: "Beyond the Horizon") is a light novel written by Nagomu Torii, with illustrations by Tomoyo Kamoi. The work won an honorable mention in the Kyoto Animation Award competition in 2011. Kyoto Animation has published three volumes since June 2012. An anime television series adaptation, produced by Kyoto Animation, aired in Japan between October and December 2013. An original video animation episode was released in July 2014. A two-part anime film project, Kyoukai no Kanata Movie -I'LL BE HERE-, premiered in March and April 2015. The English dub was released in North America on October 13, 2015.
Plot and SettingEdit
The story of Kyoukai no Kanata is set in a world where creatures from the spirit world called Youmu (妖夢, lit., "catastrophic dream") roam in the human world under human disguises, and trained specialists called Spirit World Warriors (異界士, Ikaishi) protect humans from youmu attacks.
Akihito Kanbara is a high school student who apparently has a youmu lineage and a peculiar regenerative ability that exceeds that of a normal human. In an unexpected encounter, Akihito saves a classmate named Mirai Kuriyama, whom he believes is about to jump off the school building, not knowing that Mirai is a spirit world warrior. Mirai, who was sent to kill Akihito, fails because of Akihito's immortal blood. After their first encounter, Akihito starts to help Mirai because he thinks that they're on the same side. Akihito and Mirai develop their friendship together with Mitsuki Nase and Hiroomi Nase. Their friendship goes under different trials that make their bonds stronger and the relationship between Mirai and Akihito grows deeper and deeper.
Sacrifices and great decisions are made by Mirai and Akihito – decisions that might make them live without the person they want to protect the most.
- Akihito Kanbara (神原 秋人, Kanbara Akihito) - A second-year high school student and a Half-Youmu with superhuman regenerative abilities. At school, he is known for his attraction for those who wear eye glasses, to the point of giving himself the nickname "Meganest". He is a member of the school's Literary Club. He is voiced by KENN in Japanese and Clint Bickham in English.
- Mirai Kuriyama (栗山 未来, Kuriyama Mirai) - First-year high school student and a member of a family of spirit world warriors that have the ability to manipulate their blood. Her family experience discrimination because their ability is regarded as heretical among spirit world warriors. Certain circumstances also caused Mirai to live an impoverished life up to the present. She is voiced by Risa Taneda in Japanese and Krystal LaPorte in English.
- Mitsuki Nase (名瀬 美月, Nase Mitsuki) - President of the school's Literary Club and Akihito's direct superior, known for her glamorous figure contrasted by her sharp tongue. A second-year high school student. She belongs to a prestigious family of spirit world warriors, and is tasked with watching over Akihito. She always carries a pet youmu with her named Yakiimo. She is voiced by Minori Chihara in Japanese and Monica Rial in English.
- Hiromi Nase (名瀬 博臣, Nase Hiro'omi) - A third-year high school student and Mitsuki's older brother. He is an avid siscon, and often spends time sharing jokes with Akihito. His spirit world warrior ability causes him to be extremely sensitive to cold, so Hiro'omi often wears a scarf and muffler on his person. He is voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki in Japanese and Adams Gibbs in English.
- See List of Episodes.
Kyoukai no Kanata is a light novel written by Nagomu Torii, with illustrations by Tomoyo Kamoi. The light novel series was awarded with an honorable mention in the Kyoto Animation Award competition in 2011, and was published by Kyoto Animation between June 2012 and April 2013. The series began publishing on June 9, 2012, whereas it is still ongoing. Three volumes have been released as of October 2, 2013.
- Light novel series official website (Japanese)
- Anime film official website (Japanese)
- Anime official website (Japanese)
- Beyond the Boundary Article in Wikipedia (English)