|Also known as||
Akkey (by Hiroomi)
171 cm (5' 7")
2nd year High School Student Literary Club vice-president
Yayoi Kanbara (mother)
Carmine (episode 1)
Akihito Kanbara (神原 秋人 Kanbara Akihito) is the main character of the Kyoukai no Kanata series. He is a second year student and a member of his school's Literary Club. He is a Half-Youmu and has the ability to instantly heal from his wounds. Unlike most people, he is mostly familiar with the affairs of Spirit World Warriors and Youmu. Because of this and his unique trait, he becomes a subject of curious scrutiny.
Akihito is a young man with blonde hair and brown eyes that tilt downward, or tareme eyes. He is primarily seen wearing his school uniform.
Akihito is a very playful, friendly, somewhat sarcastic yet sincere person, who likes glasses very much, including "bespectacled beauties" or girls who wear glasses. He tends to call Mirai a bespectacled beauty and often imagines Mitsuki wearing glasses. This even reaches the point of calling himself a "Meganest", which means an extreme fetish for glasses.
Akihito was born as a half-Youmu from a human mother and supposedly immortal Youmu father. During his childhood, he was involved in a car accident but survived unscathed. As a result, people fear him and isolate him. Nothing else much is known about his past but it is known that Akihito's Youmu side awakened during a past incident with Hiroomi and almost killed him. Due to this, the Nase family arranged a deal in order to avoid further incidents related to Akihito's Youmu side.
In spite of his bloodline, Akihito manages to live through school life like most students, although he often spends his time alone. His usual companions include Mitsuki Nase, the president of the Literary Club, and Hiroomi Nase, an acquaintance of his who acts as a "watchman" of sorts.
Meeting Mirai Kuriyama
One spring day, Akihito meets a girl in glasses after seeing her in the edge of the rooftop, as if attempting to jump off the school building. This girl, named Mirai Kuriyama, would stab Akihito in their first meeting, only to be surprised to see that he survived the sudden attack. Akihito would spend the next week being impaled by Mirai's weapon, a sword made out of her own blood, in several attacks made by Mirai inside school premises.
Mirai soon confesses that her tendency to attack Akihito stems from her lack of self-confidence in fighting youmu. To answer this problem, Akihito decides to help out Mirai in gaining the confidence to fight youmu by herself and to earn some money from her duties as a Spirit World Warrior. Both Mitsuki and Hiroomi prohibit Akihito from interacting with Mirai, but Akihito stubbornly pushes through. His efforts eventually paid off, as Mirai successfully defeats the Hollow Shadow, noted as one of the most powerful youmu, although at the cost of Akihito almost losing control of his youmu side. Following the Hollow Shadow incident, Akihito's friendship with Mirai slowly develops as Mirai finally joins the Literary Club after Akihito's many attempts to recruit her.
The Calm and the Storm
Weeks later, Mirai is already a usual sight in the Literary Club, bringing along her bonsai obsession to the clubroom. Meanwhile, Akihito is warned by her mother Yayoi about the Calm approaching Nagatsuki City. True enough, the Calm creeps over the neighbourhood days later, causing Akihito to feel lethargic due to his youmu side being affected by the Calm. Izumi Nase, who has been watching over Akihito as part of the governing Spirit World Warrior clan in Nagatsuki City, attacks Akihito using a Glaciate Barrier. As a result, Akihito's youmu half reemerges as he was resting on the Shindou Residence following the attack. Akihito's sudden aggression almost endangered Ai Shindou's life, but Ai was saved by Ayaka despite being in a weakened state herself.
The presence of Akihito in his youmu form is determined by Izumi as a threat that must be eliminated at once. She entrusts the role of killing Akihito to Mirai, who is later revealed to be working for Izumi since her arrival at Nagatsuki City. In a decisive battle with his friend, the rampaging Akihito falls to Mirai's sword, with Mirai absorbing the youmu inside Akihito, known as Beyond the Boundary, into herself.
Akihito is the offspring of a human being and a Youmu.
- Regenerative Healing Factor
Akihito has the ability to regenerate from nearly any injury.
When severely injured, Akihito's youmu side takes over, causing him to transform into a feral creature.
His eyes becomes all black with a multi-color iris and his hair remains blonde only with green highlights at the end. He is also mysteriously surrounded by green energy that is never explained.
Akihito also used his Half-Youmu power once inside the Beyond the Boundary while fighting off Youmu with Mirai, using his hand that held his Youmu powers inside.
He can create fire at will that can easily penetrate strong force fields and cause destruction within a mile radius.
- Mirai Kuriyama
- Despite their first encounter at school and her many attempts to "kill" him, Akihito maintains a friendly personality towards Mirai. The two later become friends, with Akihito eager to support Mirai in becoming a more confident Spirit World Warrior — these sentiments may have stemmed from Akihito finding out about Mirai's misfortunes that almost mirror his. It is true that Mirai has developed romantic feelings for Akihito over time. At the end of the series, it is strongly suggested that he reciprocates these feelings as he tells Mirai that a future without her would be meaningless. He also tells her that he never wanted to live a life that Mirai sacrifices herself for. He also asked Mirai out on the dream he had on his coma and blushed when Mirai tried to kiss him. Also, in episode 12, when Mirai asked if the scene around them was beautiful, he looked at her first then blushed before saying "Yeah.", thus hinting that he finds Mirai beautiful. He also mentioned in his narration that Mirai's return might be because of his feelings getting through her. And sometime in the last minutes of episode 12 he said that he basically loved the bespectacled beauty; Mirai .
- Hiroomi Nase
- Akihito's best friend and upperclassman. Around the time they first met, Akihito's youmu side took over and almost killed Hiroomi. Therefore, following that event, Hiroomi and Mitsuki were asked to watch over him to make sure that incident never happens again. However, as time goes by, the Nase siblings become good friends that constantly tease Akihito. Akihito and Hiroomi share similar womanly opinions regarding Mitsuki and Mirai when facing various circumstances. Hiroomi affectionately calls Akihito "Akkey," much to the latter's chagrin. Hiroomi occasionally sticks his hands into Akihito's armpits much to Akihito's displeasure, claiming that they're clean and warm.
- Mitsuki Nase
- Mitsuki and Akihito have a tsukkomi-boke relationship, with Mitsuki often targeting Akihito with harsh comments as a tsukkomi to Akihito's boke. However, beneath this sharp-tongued personality may be a girl who is frustrated to show her feelings for Akihito. She often calls him a pervert due to his liking of girls who wear glasses. However, Mitsuki does seem to have like him very much, and she has great concern for him, and appears to always be watching over Akihito, so there is a possibility that Mitsuki has some feelings for him. She is often seen "joking" around with Akihito about his fake dream of her confessing her love to him.
- Yayoi Kanbara
- Far away from her only son, Yayoi continues to check up on Akihito using special postcards she religiously sends to Akihito. She comes to visit him after the events of episode 10. Although her antics are usually very silly and annoy Akihito, Yayoi can also have a rather frightening side, as she is not afraid to use her abilities as a powerful Spirit World Warrior when Akihito is in danger. Despite all of their disagreements, Akihito tells his mother that she should tell more about himself someday.
- His first name has the characters for autumn (秋) and man (人), while his surname literally means "fields of the gods".
- His name is the same as the current Emperor of Japan.
- Akihito has a fondness for omelette rice.
- In Episode 12 of the Kyoukai no Kanata anime series, the last part of it shows Akihito finally confronting the recently returned Mirai on the roof and shouting his fondness of her and her glasses. There are two versions of what Akihito said: the most widely circulated was "In short, I love it when you're wearing glasses, kuriyama-san." This English translation was actually a mistranslation. The more accurate translation was "In short, i love the glasses wearer, kuriyama-san". Fansubs have then fixed this mistake.
- ↑ Akihito Kanbara's profile page on Kyoukai no Kanata anime official website.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 1, "Carmine".
- ↑ Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 2, "Ultramarine".
- ↑ Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 4, "Bitter Orange".
- ↑ Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 5, "Chartreuse Light".
- ↑ Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 8, "Calming Gold".
- ↑ Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 10, "White World".
- ↑ Kyoukai no Kanata Episode 9, "Silver Bamboo".
|Main Characters||Mirai Kuriyama • Akihito Kanbara • Hiroomi Nase • Mitsuki Nase|
|Spirit World Warriors||Izumi Nase • Ayaka Shindou • Shizuku Ninomiya • Miroku Fujima • Yayoi Kanbara|